Friday, October 28, 2011

A confession

I have a confession to make – I don’t like Halloween.

I know this isn’t a very popular opinion, but I can’t seem to help myself. I should like Halloween. I want to like Halloween. It’s in one of my favorite seasons of the year, there are parties, there's the candy….what isn’t to like? But I just can’t help it.

Pumpkin carving? No thanks. I never have the patience to get all of the guts out of the pumpkin, so there inevitably are those unsightly strings hanging behind my pumpkin’s nose/eyes/mouth. And I can never think of anything more creative than the circle eyes, triangle nose, toothy grin combo.

Dressing up? I’ll pass. Once again, I’m not creative or patient enough to come up with a great costume. And what I do come up with always ends up being really dowdy, and that’s never good when you’re surrounded by a sea of women taking full advantage of the opportunity to dress as sexy as they possibly can (see Lindsay Lohan in Mean Girls).

Luckily, I now have a reason to like Halloween. My precious niece was born last year, just a few days before, so now we’ll be able to celebrate her joining our family amongst all of the pumpkin carving, dressing up madness.



My niece, a few days old, in her pumpkin onesie - a pretty fantastic thing to celebrate.
--------------------

And despite everything I wrote above, what are my plans for the weekend? A pumpkin carving contest tonight and a dress-up Halloween party tomorrow night! I’m nothing if not a good sport.

My costume this year? Crazy pickle arm man. Thank you Adam Sandler.

No comments: