Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Spam

Even though the main gist of this blog is going to be about food, this title is not referring to the canned wonder. It is referring to me. I am an accidental spammer.


I read a lot of blogs. A LOT of blogs. I take blog breaks throughout the day like people take smoke breaks.


One of my favorite blogs, Marriage Confessions, had an excellent entry written by the fantastic Katie, on how to start a blog. She offered up the advice that if you wanted to attract readers to your own blog, the best thing to do was to start submitting comments on other blogs and insert your own blog as a link.


This sounds like a fantastic idea.


However, there are two problems with this for me. The first is that I'm not a fantastic self-promoter. I never have been - I never will be. While I love to write, and hope that some day people will actually want to read what I write, I still really suffer from the idea that....well....maybe I'm just not that interesting? And so putting myself out there is a little tough for me. So this is me being bold!


The second problem is that in all of the time I've been reading blogs, in all of the thousands of blog entries I've read, I have never once left a comment. Not once (see above for why)!


So yesterday, in my current spirit of being bold, I decided to leave a comment on another of my favorite blogs, The Pioneer Woman. I tried to craft something witty....I entered my blog web address....and I hit submit! I had done it!


I was so excited about my boldness that I proceeded to check every 15 minutes to see if my comment had been posted....and it hadn't. An hour later.....it still hadn't. Two hours? Nope. I decided that maybe, somehow, I forgot to hit submit? So I should try and submit again! Surely, something must have gone wrong. Surely it would have posted by now? So I summoned up my strength and submitted again. And two hours later? NOTHING.


So what would any sane person do? Try again, of course!


And then finally, an hour after I submitted my third comment, it finally appeared! I was thrilled! I was a real member of the blogging world!


This elation lasted only until I started to page through the other comments, and to my horror, saw that in fact all THREE of my comments had finally been posted.


Sigh.


I'm still not sure what happened here, but I do know that I inadvertantly SPAMMED the Pioneer Woman. The blogger of all bloggers. Does she really read all of her comments? Do you suppose she'll think I'm a crazy person? Do you see now why I tend to avoid the whole putting-myself-out-there, self-promotion thing?


Sigh.


I'm not going to let this stop me though - I'm going to continue being bold!


Just not so impatient.


Lesson learned.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Ha! Been there... By the way, welcome to the Blog-World. If you want to get regular readers, I would recommend you add a link where people can "follow" your blog. That way, they can see any time you update in their Blogger page.

Kristan said...

Thanks so much for the advice - and the comment!