Friday, January 28, 2011

Wipeout



When I was up visiting my sister this past weekend, we somehow ended up watching the show “Winter Wipeout” for a few minutes. Don’t ask me how or why.

If you haven’t seen this show, it’s basically putting people through a ridiculous obstacle course so that you can laugh when they get beaned in the head by something, fall into a pool of water, and other hilarities (all without actually getting hurt, of course).

Why am I bringing this up? Because on Thursday, Philadelphia woke up to nearly 17 inches of snow. Really heavy snow. Laced with a nice sheet of ice in there to make everything even more interesting. After a day of working from home, I decided I needed to get out for some fresh air (and to treat myself to some Aveda hair products), and I swear, walking the five blocks to the Aveda store, I felt like a contestant in “Winter Wipeout”. But without the possibility of winning $50,000.

Between the signs warning for falling ice, the roads that were literal skating rinks, and the large swaths of pooled, icy water at every intersection, it was quite the demolition derby out there.

But I made it out and back safely, and it was nice to get out after my day of working from home - which is really what I wanted to post about, because while I still lament the fact that with the advent of being able to work from home, most adults don’t get true snow days anymore, it ended up being a really lovely day.

Sir T was also home in the morning, so we totally nerded it up, side by side laptop style on the sofa.


Phoebe was, obviously, in pure heaven with both of us there all morning.


Lunch was a throwback grilled cheese and Campbell’s tomato soup (made with milk and a little half-and-half….swoon) that I made to warm T up before he had to head out to school.


And then back to the sofa for the rest of the work day, where Phoebe again joined me, curled up, with her tongue stuck out in utter contentment.

Can you see her little tongue sticking out?
Not a bad work environment if you ask me.

No comments: